Durham Regional Police completed their fifth week of the Festive R.I.D.E program, stopping 1,550 vehicles and charging seven drivers with drinking/drug impaired driving offences.
Durham Regional Officers conducted R.I.D.E. checks this week in Ajax, Pickering, Whitby, Oshawa, Brock, and Clarington with the following totals. Festive R.I.D.E. stats from Week Five in 2019 are in brackets.
- 1,550 (3,003) Vehicles stopped by R.I.D.E.
- 39 (108) People given Roadside Breath Tests
- 4 (13) People received “3-Day Suspensions’ for registering a “WARN”
- 0 (5) Novice Driver received a “3-Day Licence Suspension”
- 7 (13) People were charged with Drinking and Driving Offences
- 18 (19) Criminal Code Offences
- 79 (49) Charged with various Highway Traffic Act Offences
- 0 (0) Drug Offences
After five weeks, the Festive R.I.DE team has charged a total of 43 motorists for drinking/drug driving offences. Another 17 motorists have registered a WARN on a roadside screening device and had their driver’s licence suspended for 3-days.
Read more: Police conduct RIDE stop in Beaverton
Police would like to remind motorists to be aware of the law while transporting cannabis in your motor vehicle. A driver cannot have cannabis in a motor vehicle when the seal of its original packaging is open and it’s within reach of the driver. Also, under the law, a motorist with a G1/G2 licence must have a zero blood alcohol content while driving.
If you observe an impaired driver, please call 9-1-1.
A complete list of those charged with Impaired/Exceed will be posted on the DRPS website later this week under Hot Topics.
Note: Under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, anyone charged with a drinking and driving criminal offence will have his or her driver’s licence suspended for 90 days and their vehicle impounded automatically for 7 days.