A teacher’s assistant in Durham is facing seven child pornography charges following an investigation by the Toronto Police Service.
According to police, officers executed search warrant in the Thickson Road and Rossland Road East area of Whitby last Wednesday (Feb. 12).
Joseph Vermulst, 32, was subsequently charged with two counts of possession of child pornography, two counts of access child pornography, two counts of make available child pornography and one count of make child pornography.
A media release notes that Vermulst is employed by the Durham Catholic District School Board and has worked at the following schools:
– Good Shepherd Catholic School, from March 18, 2019 to February 11, 2020;
– St. James Catholic School, from April 1, 2016 to August 31, 2016;
– Father Fenelon Catholic School, from September 1, 2016 to August 29, 2018; and,
– St. James Catholic School, from August 30, 2018 to March 15, 2019.
Police say he has also worked as a long-term occasional educational assistant at the following schools:
– St. Bernard Catholic School, from September 3, 2013 to January 31, 2014
– St. Andre Catholic School, from August 28, 2014, to January 28, 2015
– St. Josephine Bakhita Catholic School, from August 28, 2104 to January 23, 2015
– St. James Catholic School, from September 1, 2015 to March 31, 2016
Vermulst was scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday (Feb. 18).