A 43-year-old contractor is facing charges after allegedly defrauding two separate victims for work that was never completed.
According to police, the suspect – who runs Complete Comfort Heating and Air Conditioning – received money from a potential customer in June but never returned to do the work.
“In July, a second victim came forward to investigators after they paid the contractor to install a new air conditioning unit and the male never showed up after receiving payment,” reads a media release from police.
Kenneth Pingle of Ajax has been charged with two counts of fraud under $5,000.
He was released on a Promise to Appear.
“Investigators want to ensure there are no further victims. Anyone who may have been defrauded by this company or individual is asked to come forward if they have not reported any similar incidents to police,” the media release reads.
It also includes some tips to protect yourself from contractor frauds:
– don’t pay the full amount until the work is completed
– make sure to get an invoice, receipt or quote for the work to be done
– always get a second quote or possibly a third quote
– do some research online on the quality of service provided by the contractor or company
– make sure the contractor has the proper credentials or license for the job
Anyone with new information about this investigation is asked to the lead investigator at 1-888-579-1520, ext. 2723.