A 37-year-old Newmarket mother has been charged after allegedly leaving her infant son unattended in a parked car in Richmond Hill.
According to police, officers were called to the parking lot of a pharmacy located at 9275 Bayview Avenue for a report of an unattended baby screaming in a parked car around 8 p.m. on Sunday (July 21).
“When officers arrived, firefighters with Richmond Hill Fire and Emergency Services had removed the one-year-old infant from the parked vehicle and were assessing his medical condition,” reads a media release from police.
“The outside temperature was 29 degrees Celsius. The infant appeared to be in distress and sweating and was transported to hospital as a precaution.”
According to police, the Children’s Aid Society has been engaged and the infant was turned over to family members at the hospital.
The mother of the child was located by police inside of the pharmacy where she was placed under arrest.
“In a search incident to arrest officers located stolen property and discovered that she was wanted on a warrant,” the media release reads.
“The name of the accused is not being released in order to protect the identity of the child.”
The woman has been charged with abandoning child, theft under $5,000 and possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000.
She was held in custody pending a court date on Monday (July 22).
“Under the Child and Family Services Act, any child under the age of 10 who has been left unattended, under any circumstances, or for any length of time, may be considered to be at risk. Any parent or guardian leaving a child under 10 years of age unattended could face charges under the Child and Family Services Act or under the Criminal Code of Canada,” the media release reads.
“York Regional Police would like to remind citizens that you should not leave children or your pets unattended in vehicles on hot or cold days. In the summer, the interior of vehicles heat up quickly and will reach temperatures exceeding the outside air. Children and pets can quickly become overheated and dehydrated resulting in serious injury or death. If you see a child left unattended or a pet in a hot car and they appear to be in distress, call 911.”