There’s still no timeline for the Cannington Foodland to re-open following an electrical fire on Christmas Eve.
While the fire was quickly extinguished, none of the store’s stock – worth an estimated $250,000 – could be salvaged due to smoke and water damage.
According to Brock Township Deputy Fire Chief Wayne Ward, the fire was reported around 6 a.m. on Monday (Dec. 24) and started due to a malfunctioning freezer.
“The freezer had pretty much burned itself out by the time we got there but the store was filled with smoke,” Ward said.
In response to the store’s closure, staff from The Nourish and Develop Foundation are reminding residents that the organization provides food to individuals and families on an emergency basis.
“We learned this morning the Foodland grocery store here in Cannington has been closed until further notice. We understand this can be tragic for many in our community. We would like to remind everyone we are here for emergency food access,” reads a post on social media.
“For urgent food access outside of regular hours please dial 705-432-2444 and press extension 600. Our offices and building are closed until Jan. 2, but we are available to help please do not hesitate to call if you are in urgent need of food. We offer help to families, seniors, and individuals who face barriers such as mobility, transportation, low or fixed income. The need is not limited to those receiving social assistance but so many individuals who are facing unforeseen circumstances, illness or other family emergencies can put almost anyone in a place where they must decide between paying bills and buying food. We are here to help.”