Two elementary students hospitalized after consuming cannabis-infused cookies

Police and officials from the Durham District School Board are urging parents and caregivers to be cautious with consumable forms of cannabis after two elementary students were hospitalized on Wednesday (Dec. 5).

According to the DRPS, two seniors students at Hillsdale Public School in Oshawa were taken to the hospital by ambulance and kept overnight for observation after consuming home-baked cookies prepared with cannabis.

“Investigation revealed that one parent with a medical cannabis license had made the cookies for his personal consumption. Some of the batch had been taken from the home without consent.  As part of this investigation, the Children’s Aid Society will be contacted to conduct a review,” reads a media release from the DRPS.

The school board quickly addressed the issue in a prepared statement, noting that there is nothing more important than the safety of students.

“As this incident was brought to the attention of the school administration, it was revealed the cookies were for medical use by a parent. The school administration followed our Police-Board Protocol in reporting this incident to police. The situation was dealt with quickly and efficiently by both school staff and Durham Regional Police Service (DRPS), and proper protocols were followed to ensure the safety and well-being of the students involved,” reads the media release issued by the school board.

“DDSB schools work proactively with Durham Region Public Health and DRPS to educate students on the negative effects of drug use, misuse and abuse. Drug use by students is a serious matter and is dealt with as such through progressive discipline and police intervention as necessary. Recent legislation has not had a significant impact on how schools are dealing with incidents involving cannabis.”

%d bloggers like this: