The OPP is reminding residents that leaving vehicles unlocked may increase the chances of becoming a victim of theft this holiday season.
The organization is once again taking part in the ‘Lock It or Lose It’ campaign, which will see police officers and auxiliary members examining parked vehicles in public places such as shopping malls and/or public parking lots. An officer will place a small notice on the vehicle that has been checked to point out if safety precautions could have been taken and to offer simple prevention tips for the driver to protect the vehicle and its contents from theft.
You can help prevent theft by following these crime prevention tips:
– Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the key;
– If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your vehicle;
– Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area;
– Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Put them in the trunk; and,
– Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running.
“Please do your part in making this year’s holiday season a safe and memorable experience. Be sure to take precautions to protect your vehicle and vehicle contents from theft. Locking it up is your safest bet,” reads a media release.