Police are investigating a break and enter in Ramara Township after a firearm, jewelry and a substantial amount of cash was reportedly taken.
According to the OPP, at approximately 6:20 p.m. on Thursday (Nov. 1), seven people entered a business on Highway 12. The people who entered the store reportedly distracted the clerk while others entered the residence and business area.
“The suspects should be considered dangerous; police are asking citizens not to approach and call the police immediately if they see any of the suspects or the vehicle they are operating,” reads a release from police, in part.
Police say surveillance photos show a number of suspects and the vehicle they were using, described by police as a newer model white Dodge Caravan with no front license plate.
According to a release from police, the seven suspects all appeared to be of Middle Eastern or South Asian decent, late 20s or early 30s and described as the following:
- Female – Medium to thin build dressed in a dark full-length dress and donning a black scarf which covered her face.
- Male – medium build, with dark short hair wearing a green jacket, dark pants, black shoes with white laces
- Male – medium build, brown/black hair, with a beard and wearing a black ball cap, sports jacket, white shirt, dark pants, black shoes with white soles
- Male – medium build, brown/black hair, with a dark facial hair including full beard and moustache wearing dark coloured rain jacket, white ball cap, dark coloured pants and black shoes
- Female – thin build, with straight, long black hair wearing a grey/beige sweatshirt, athletic wear tights, a high-top white Nike shoes, light pink shoulder purse and large shoulder bag
- Female – medium build, with long black curly hair loosely tied, wearing a blue jacket, black tights, long grey cotton shirt and white shoes
- Female – heavier set, with long hair wearing a printed top, jeans and black stripped wedge heeled sandals
According to police, the cash and jewelry were in a small safe.
The Orillia Crime Unit along with Central Region Forensic Identification Services (FIS) and the Orillia OPP continues to investigate this incident.
If anyone locates a safe or if anyone witnessed this incident or has information that could be useful, police ask that you contact the Orillia OPP at 705-326-3536 or 1-888-310-1122.
The Orillia OPP would like to remind business owners to be vigilant as these types of thefts are becoming more common. Large groups of people enter the business when there is minimal staff. The people will then distract the worker while others enter the back rooms, residence or safe areas and rummage for cash and valuables. Employees should work with a partner and/or have a communication device close at hand to be able to call for assistance if needed.