Stops in Sunderland and Cannington for sixth week of Festive RIDE
Durham Regional Police conducted stops in Sunderland and Cannington as part of week six of Festive RIDE.
The sixth week of the seasonal campaign included stopping more than 1,900 vehicles and charging 15 drivers with drinking and driving offences.
In addition to Cannington and Sunderland, RIDE checks were held in Ajax, Pickering, Whitby, Oshawa, Port Perry, Bowmanville and Clarington.
Here are the totals according to DRPS:
- 1,912 vehicles stopped
- 77 people given roadside breath tests
- 15 were charged with drinking and driving offences
- 12 people given three-day suspensions for registering a WARN
- 23 face Criminal Code charges
- Two breaches of No Alcohol Condition for G1 G2 / young driver licence holders
- 33 charged with various Highway Traffic Act offences
- Two drug offences
After the sixth week, the Festive RIDE team has charged a total of 102 motorists for drinking and driving offences. Last year at the same time, 93 had been charged. Another 83 motorists have registered a WARN on a roadside screening device and had their driver’s licence suspended for three days. Last year at the same time, 96 drivers had their licences suspended for registering a WARN.